Translate

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Every Country Has Its Histoire, Storia, Historia

Ah, those of you who dropped by for the daily posting yesterday were treated to another cogent, thoroughly researched article on the Google/Bing Translator controversy.   Thoughtfully composed by our intrepid West Coast correspondent Thalia's ghost writer, this piece carefully dissects the pros and cons of both translation tools and concludes that though both come up short, they do provide a point of reference.  Thank you, Ms. T. for once again providing us with useful, up-to-date, and meticulously tested information. My own experience with Bing and Google Translation tools has been mixed.  It's far from perfect, but like a spouse, it's nice to have around.

Today, let's discuss history.  Over time in my language studies, I've concluded that it is beneficial to add non-language-related components to my study routine.  Though reading a history or travel book about the country where your target language is spoken does not directly assist you in learning how to speak, write or read (unless you read the book in the target language), it does help you to get your bearings and to get a feel of the geography and culture of the region where the language is used.  I think I'd enjoy a trip to Mexico even better if I knew about its background and its people.

I mention Mexico, because Spanish is the language I'm presently working on.  Those who know me will tell you that I'm all over the globe when it comes to learning languages and you never know whether I'll be immersed in Italian or fumbling with my French.  Today, though, I feel Spanish--¡Olé!.  So, I checked out two books from the library yesterday; one a history, The Life and Times of Mexico by Earl Shorris, and a novel, James Michener's Mexico.   I thought the novel would be a little more fun, and Michener, as I recall, inundates all of his books with background history.  I've just started reading, so I'll have to defer a thorough review until later.

What about you.  Do you think it's worthwhile to read background material for the language you're learning?  Or is it time that would be better spent learning the nuts and bolts of linguistics and grammar?  Seems to me that when in Rome you can't do as the Romans do, unless you know what they did.  If I ever go to Mexico again (I've been to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Guadalajara (loved Guada!), I think I'd enjoy it even more if I knew how it came to be Mexico (or Meh hee koh, as they pronounce it). 

¡Hasta luego, lectores!

1 comment:

  1. I don't see how it's possible to even approach fluency in another language without being well versed in the history and culture of the land. Think of how many cultural and historical references we take for granted in speaking American English. The same applies to any language as it's spoken in this or that country.

    ReplyDelete