Translate

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Hey, What's Wrong with Writing?

Are you writing regularly in your target language?  Hmmm?  Just as I figured.  Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Here's how we say 'lazy' in Spanish, French, and Italian:

Spanish:  perezoso
French:  paresseux
Italian: pigro

I'm partial to pigro

Be sure to participate in our poll question on the right.

Really, though, it is important to allot some time in your daily studies (you do practice every day, don't you? Pigro!)  to writing in the language you wish to master.  If nothing else, studies show that writing vocabulary and sentences down aids in remembering them.  I know that when I write out exercises from my language textbooks, it forces me to concentrate on the text.  

Also, if you're in a foreign country and your accent or grammar is so bad that you're clearly not getting your message across to a native, try writing it down.  It's just another way of expressing yourself.  Also, what if you're in a hotel and you need to leave the maid a note?  It's a given that each of us has a preference for how we study a foreign language.  I like to read and write; others are not happy unless they have some CDs or an iPod full of listen-and-repeat phrases.  I have to practically force myself to devote a portion of my daily practice to oral listening and speaking.  

I'm wondering if we can persuade the divine Ms. Thalia to give us a brief exercise in writing Korean.  Hmmm?

But writing can be fun.  Why not write a brief essay or short story in the language?  Of course, you'll make mistakes, but it will re-enforce your learning and help you pay more attention to accents and other diacritical marks.  Feeling frustrated about the pace of your learning?  Scrivi! Ecrivez! Escribe! Write about it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment